Inquiry question: Under what circumstances is a force produced on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field?
● investigate qualitatively and quantitatively the interaction between a current-carrying conductor and a uniform magnetic field 𝐹 = 𝑙𝐼⊥𝐵 = 𝑙𝐼𝐵sin𝜃 to establish: (ACSPH080, ACSPH081)
– conditions under which the maximum force is produced
– the relationship between the directions of the force, magnetic field strength and current
– conditions under which no force is produced on the conductor
● conduct a quantitative investigation to demonstrate the interaction between two parallel current-carrying wires
● analyse the interaction between two parallel current-carrying wires and determine the relationship between the International System of Units (SI) definition of an ampere and Newton’s Third Law of Motion (ACSPH081, ACSPH106)
Extract from Physics Stage 6 Syllabus © 2017 NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA)