Define torque as the turning moment of a force using:
- Torque is the turning effect of a force.
- It is the product of the tangential component of the force and the distance the force is applied from the axis of rotation.
- Force is maximum when it is perpendicular to point of rotation ^d ^τ
- If the force is not perpendicular to the line joining the point of application of the force and the pivot point, the component of the force that is perpendicular to the line can be used. Only the perpendicular component of the force will have an effect
Torque = FdSinθ
- Fx = FCosθ, τ =Fxd
- Can also use:
- dy = dSinθ, τ =Fdy
- Use of Sin/Cos depends on definition of system