Describe the main features of a DC electric motor and the role of each feature
- Current supplied produces interacting magnetic field which keeps the motor spinning
- Armature: laminated (reduces eddy current) ferromagnetic cylinder, rotates on axle to give actual motion, concentrates magnetic field to increase torque.
- Coil: Wrapped around armature, medium for current, better motion with more coils at right angles
- Split ring commutator: Changes direction of current to allow motion to continue
- Brushes: Allows current flow into split ring
- Magnets: Produce external magnetic field, curved magnets can improve torque (coil plane is always parallel)
- Axle: provides centre of rotation